The Weekly Geek

I'm the Geek so you don't have to be!

The Weekly Geek random header image

iCloud contacts not seen or syncing in Outlook

June 2nd, 2020 · 45 Comments

It seems there are hundreds if not hundreds of thousands of people who cannot sync their iCloud data with Outlook. I just ran across this and spent 5 hours 20 minutes finding the correct solution for my client.
Here is the issue, icloud contacts and calendar and tasks are not syncing with Outlook. There are several error possibilities or in our case there were no errors, just no syncing.
In this case we had Windows 10 Professional x64 and Office Home and Business 2019 x64. The end user uses an iPhone and iCloud photos et al.
Searching the internet it seems the troubled systems are Windows 9 and 10, Office 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365.

The short answer is, the Windows Store iCloud APP does not work. You have to use the Windows Program file.
The short repair is:
In Outlook, disable the iCloud Add-in, and select remove if you can. I could not.
To do this, open Outlook, select “File / Options” in the new window.

On the left side, almost at the bottom, click on “add-ins”

At the bottom click on “Go” if the Manage COM Add-ins is selected

Deselect the checkbox next to iCloud Outlook Add-in and with it highlighted in blue, select remove. If it won’t remove, don’t worry.

Close Outlook, uninstall the iCloud APP (I use REVO uninstaller on “medium” to get rid of all the extras.)
Reboot the PC. Download and install the program, NOT the APP. Here is where I got it: https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/windows/061-91601-20200323-974a39d0-41fc-4761-b571-318b7d9205ed/iCloudSetup.exe
Or you can go here:

Reboot again.
Navigate to the iCloud.exe file “C:\program files (x86)\ Common files \ Apple \ Internet Services”.
Right-click on the file, select the “Compatibility” tab. Run in Compatibility Mode for Windows 8 and select “Run the program as an administrator”.

Open iCloud, select what you want to sync:

Select Apply. Wait until the syncing profile goes away
Close iCloud.
Open Outlook. iCloud should be listed in the toolbar.

To make your contacts from iCloud as the primary address book click on “Address Book”.

If iCloud is not listed, in the new windows, click on “Tools and then Options from the dropdown menu.

Click on “Custom” and then select “iCloud”. If it is not here, click on “Add”.

Then select “iCloud” and click on “add”.
“OK” your way out to just the Outlook home screen.
Now when you click on your Address book it should be there.

I hope this saves someone hours of their life they cannot get back.
Until we meet again, have a virus free week.

Tags: E-Mail Issues

45 responses so far ↓

• 1 Dayton C Macatee // Sep 15, 2020 at 11:59 am

I used your method to get my iCloud syncing with my Windows 10 + Outlook 365. The only thing I had to add was to turn on the Outlook Add-in. Now, everything seems to be perfect again. I spent DAYS on this issue – your solution is the only one that worked.

• 2 Eileen // Oct 26, 2020 at 3:22 pm

THANK YOU! good lord. How can the app store app not work properly? This FINALLY fixed a problem i’ve been trying to solve for weeks.

• 3 Shelley // Nov 20, 2020 at 5:16 pm

Thank you so much!

• 4 Brent // Nov 25, 2020 at 2:28 am

Thanks. Worked like a charm and is appreciated!

• 5 John White // Nov 25, 2020 at 7:57 pm

When I first installed the iCloud app, it wiped out all my contacts in Outlook 2016 and my iPhone 7. I checked the iCloud website and my pictures were there but nothing in the contacts folder. I tried your method and at the point of selecting items in the iCloud settings (pictures, drive, Outlook) and clicking Apply, it stops with an error message saying my username/password is incorrect and to log out/log back in. I do that and it just does the same thing and will not let me proceed. I have never changed my iTunes/iCloud password. I had hundreds of contacts and would really like to see them reappear!

• 6 The Weekly Geek // Feb 10, 2021 at 8:15 pm

John, I did run into the password issue when doing this after writing this blog. Unfortunately, I can’t remember which customer it was for or even when. I will continue to look for my notes and if I find what I did, I will publish that.

• 7 Scott Andrew Barnhill // Dec 2, 2020 at 9:23 am

I still have the same problem where it says my password or username is incorrect when I hit apply.

• 8 The Weekly Geek // Feb 10, 2021 at 8:13 pm

I did have this happen once after I wrote this blog. I can’t find my notes from when and where I fixed this.

• 9 The Weekly Geek // Feb 10, 2021 at 8:16 pm

Scott, I am sorry this is happening. I have run into that issue too, since writing the blog. I have been looking for my notes on what I did, so far, no luck. I will publish what I did when I find them.

• 10 Paul Buccini // Dec 4, 2020 at 5:09 pm

I have to tell you this worked so well and saved me from pulling my hair out. I was about three hours into getting nowhere before I found this post.

I cant believe the darn Microsoft Store bought version was useless. Would somebody there get their heads out of their back ends and fix this.

A big thank you and god bless!!!!

Paul

• 11 Charlie // Dec 5, 2020 at 1:10 pm

If I open the “people” icon in the folder pane of Outlook, I can select iCloud and see all my iCloud contacts. But in Outlook, when I open the Address Book, iCloud doesn’t show up as a choice anywhere.

• 12 The Weekly Geek // Feb 10, 2021 at 7:58 pm

Let me make sure I understand. In Outlook, when you click on “Address book / Tools / Options / Custom” iCloud is not there? What is showing there?

• 13 Brandon // Dec 6, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Sorry, but this made it worse. Now I am back to the error message anout default profile.

This is really rediculous.

• 14 The Weekly Geek // Feb 10, 2021 at 7:55 pm

Brandon, I am sorry this is happening. I know this is frustrating. I wish I had additional steps for you. Some day Microsoft and Apple may decide to work together to help their mutual customers.

• 15 Michael // Dec 10, 2020 at 10:23 am

worked a treat.

• 16 KB // Dec 10, 2020 at 4:17 pm

Oh. My. God. Better than 18 hours spent trying to resolve this issue, including two 6-hours-plus with ATT’s ConnecTech service, without success. Your fix managed it in 15 minutes. You are my hero!

There was only one minot glitch – the loading got hung up at one point and I had to do that step again. Also, it took Outlook a few moments to show iCloud contacts and calendar had been added as options. But hey, it WORKED!!!

• 17 Robert Stoffregen // Dec 12, 2020 at 1:27 pm

You are a lifesaver

• 18 Anneberth // Dec 14, 2020 at 7:45 am

I tried all that and of course it does nothing for Outlook 2016. Nothing seems to. Depressing.

• 19 The Weekly Geek // Feb 10, 2021 at 7:50 pm

I apologize for taking so long to reply Anneberth. I presume you are not getting an error code / message. Are you literally getting nothing when you do this?

• 20 Peter Bull // Dec 21, 2020 at 10:55 am

Excellent – worked a treat for my Win365.
    Been battling for days to get this synced and your info nailed it for me!!!

• 21 Deborah // Jan 7, 2021 at 12:21 pm

Well I was very nervous to try this as so many things like this get screwed up – but based on above comments, gave it a try.
    My computer didn’t do things quite as above – firt time after deleting iCloud app – it just reinstalled it again. Deleted and use link above – that worked. Phew. But sign in popped up – ignored that and follwoed ettings toiCloud.exe file “C:\program files (x86)\ Common files \ Apple \ Internet Services” then try to find “Run in Compatibility Mode” but I only had Troubleshoot Compatibility so used that – then “Run the program as an administrator”
    When I signed in to Outlook 365 nowhere did I see iCloud!! I thought oh no – it was there before bunot now. So I deided to just click on Address Book and lo and behold – there was icloud adress book and all my contacts!!!
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!

• 22 Bill // Jan 11, 2021 at 5:38 pm

Thanks so much for the solution to this problem. I’ve been trying for months off and on to resolve it. I found some workarounds using my iPad, and had some IT guys try to fix it on my pc, but they couldn’t. Thanks again

• 23 Phil // Jan 19, 2021 at 9:47 am

OMG!!!!!!!!

I LITERALLY JUST TRIED THIS & IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve been trying to fix this issue for almost 6 months now! Worked fine until a W10 update. After that, no good. I started a small biz last year & it’s CRITICAL that this function work properly.

Apple support was clueless even after escalating my issue to “engineering” whatever that means. In the end they never called me back, probably cuz they couldn’t figure it out.

Is Apple aware/hv u contacted Apple abt this?

One question–If this happens again, shd i repeat the process?

😄😄😄 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗😄😄😄

No amt/type of emojis can adequately convey how grateful I am to you for this fix!

I’m not big on religion & I don’t mean to sound like a lunatic but — BLESS YOU!!!!

THANK U SO MUCH!!! I definitely owe you one!

WOOO HOOO!!!!!!!

• 24 Tim Shaffer // Jan 27, 2021 at 12:05 pm

Thank you this is a great time saver…

• 25 Timothy A Shaffer // Jan 28, 2021 at 12:33 pm

I had a problem after my comment. I cannot seem to get icloud to be my default address book. I did the steps you shown but I don’t have the option of iCloud when trying to add?

Anyone else have this problem?

• 26 The Weekly Geek // Feb 10, 2021 at 7:52 pm

Timothy, yes, I did run into this too. I presume you mean that the “add-in” was not there however do you mean the “add-in” is there but when you get to the “tool / options…” it is not there?

• 27 Susan // Feb 15, 2021 at 12:09 am

THANK YOU!! So much!!

• 28 Kevin Birmingham // Feb 26, 2021 at 8:22 am

THANK YOU. My computer crashed and my backup software failed me. I had to reinstall everything and Outlook and iCloud hated each other. I tried everything! And, this worked.

Feb 2021

• 29 Barbara Hauenstein // Mar 2, 2021 at 9:05 pm

Wowee! I accidentally “closed” my icloud inside outlook and spent all day looking for an answer. Yours worked! Thank you soooo much!

• 30 Ali // Mar 6, 2021 at 8:52 am

Thank you so much. Your efforts are hugely appreciated and helped me resolved my issue.
    You are superstar.

• 31 Marcie // Mar 7, 2021 at 2:57 pm

Omg!!! I’ve been struggling with this FOREVER! Microsoft Helpdesk was worthless. Apple FAQs were also worthless. I’ve spent months and months and countless hours researching and troubleshooting and THIS IS IT!

Only difference was I needed to ENABLE the addon.

THANK YOU!!

• 32 Emma Kennedy // Mar 30, 2021 at 7:43 am

Hi
    I’m in windows 10 and am having trouble . I’ve followed this but I still don’t get the option to sync contacts calendars etc on iCloud for windows – i can only tick iCloud Drive photos and bookmarks . If I create an event in outlook it appears in my phone no problem but not on my computer . There is no iCloud add in option on outlook. If you can help I’d be so thankful !

• 33 Emma // Mar 30, 2021 at 7:54 am

Hi
    I still can’t get this to work!
    I have no option on icloud for windows to tick to sync calendars, contacts, reminders.
    There is no add in option available on outlook…
    I’m hoping I’m missing something simple.
    I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling icloud – hopeless! Any help would be fantastic

• 34 The Weekly Geek // Apr 22, 2021 at 5:32 am

Emma, When you click on “options” and there is no ‘iCloud’, what happens if you click the ‘Add’ button below it? You should be able to find iCloud, at least for me I was.

• 35 Stu // Apr 1, 2021 at 10:01 am

Will this work to restore iCloud Reminders being accessible in Outlook Tasks? (Using the subscription version.)

• 36 The Weekly Geek // Apr 22, 2021 at 5:33 am

Stu, I do apologize, I really don’t know if it will restore reminders.

• 37 Atul // Apr 4, 2021 at 3:01 am

Amazing! Thank you for solving my long-standing problem. It is indeed going to save me lots of hours and frustration. Thank you

Do you have a similar solution for syncing the calendar as well. Now that icloud is installed and contacts are synced.

• 38 Joanie Sanders // Apr 10, 2021 at 1:09 pm

Hi there ! After latest update to outlook had major problems trying to get iCloud to work. Finally did but no contacts! Tried to remove app and use your link but it won’t let me install as it says this app was downloaded from the Microsoft store and all users must uninstall before it can run. What do I do now?! It works fine on our other laptops just this one that got updated it not working properly.
    Windows 10 outlook 365

• 39 The Weekly Geek // Apr 22, 2021 at 5:46 am

Joanie,
    Before I assume, did you uninstall the old one? If not or even if you did, uninstall it again. I would recommend using REVO Uninstaller to uninstall it. https://www.revouninstaller.com/

• 40 Ewald // Apr 11, 2021 at 2:27 pm

Came across this site and the discussion looking for the sync problem solution. Followed your steps and ran into the icloud uid/pwd issue. My guess is this has to do with the 2-phase authentication that our icloud.exe version cannot handle. As far as I found out I cannot change/disable the 2 phase auth, ie Apple does not allow this any longer (you may try to contact Apple and ask them to revert, but this does not feel like the road to success). Stuck for now….

• 41 The Weekly Geek // Apr 22, 2021 at 5:49 am

Ewald, I am sorry it appears that Apple and 2FA are preventing you from getting YOUR data.
    I cannot over emphasize how much I despise 2FA. It is not good in any way. I have fought against it logically in the tech community for over a decade. Just like in politics, those that want it / recommend it are just parroting something they heard. I will stop my rant there.

• 42 Ewald // Apr 12, 2021 at 12:39 pm

Update: used my wife’s Apple account to sign into iCloud, got in allright but when updating the profile, iCloud came back with error msg Uid/Pwd not correct. Any ideas?

• 43 The Weekly Geek // Apr 22, 2021 at 5:51 am

Back in Feb several people reported this too. I have gone through my notes several times since then and not found how if fixed this. I did run into it on a customers computer, I found where I had the problem but not what I did to fix it.
    Anyone else out there solve this issue?

• 44 Tillmann // Apr 24, 2021 at 3:49 am

The solution to usr/pwd issue is to remove compatibility and administrator option. Just leave it at stock. This worked in my case.

• 45 Ian // Apr 28, 2021 at 9:44 am