The Weekly Geek

I'm the Geek so you don't have to be!

The Weekly Geek random header image

Some website drop down menus don’t work in Chrome

December 30th, 2016 · 20 Comments

Recently I built a couple of new computers for a client. On one of the computers one and one website for that computer, the drop down menus would not work. The side fly out menus and click boxes worked just fine. All other computers in the office worked fine on that site.

After much scratching of the head, resetting Chrome, checking and double-checking of security exemptions in ESET, Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware I was going nowhere. I emailed the support site of the problem web site. Their response is one I would have not thought of probably ever.

Even if you don’t have a touch screen, and these computers were not touch screens, Chrome enables its touch functions, and on some sites (I presume it is how the site was written) some menus wont work. If you have a touch screen, on these web pages you will need to use another browser at this time.

The fix is quick and simple. Open Chrome and in the address bar type in “chrome://flags” and then press enter.

url

You will come to a page with a “Danger Will Robinson” Warning.

Danger

You better watch out, you better not shout...oops, wrong warning.

You better watch out, you better not shout…oops, wrong warning.

Scroll down to “Enable touch events“, it is about 1/4 the way down on my list.

On that computer and others I have checked since then, they were all set to “Automatic“.

touch1

Using the dropdown next to “Automatic” change it to “Disabled“. Chrome will automatically pop up below asking you to “Relaunch” the browser. Click on it.

relaunch

Once Chrome has restarted check and see if things work the way they should.

That is all there is to it. Until we meet again, have a virus free week.

Tags: Internet

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ralph Kessler // Feb 22, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Hi
    OMG!! This has drove me literally insane for the last two weeks, I’m came close to watching all the “Back to the Future” movies in order to build a time machine that would give me back the drop down menus. That’s beyond simple, thank you so much!!

• 2 The Weekly Geek // Feb 22, 2017 at 2:35 pm

It is my pleasure.

• 3 Matt Staggs // Oct 21, 2017 at 10:39 pm

This actually did not work for me. I did notice, however, that there is no (or no longer) an “Enable Touch Events” experiment, but rather a “Touch Events API,” which I tried changing to Disabled, but the problem persists.

• 4 Web Master // Nov 9, 2017 at 11:34 am

True enough, it’s now Touch Events API. Fortunately, disabling this DID resolve the issue for me. What is extra confusing is that it worked fine all along on my laptop but not my desktop at home (fairly recent development), but this is what fixed the problem. Not sure why two systems on the same OS and browser / version would work in two different ways, but as long as it’s working, I won’t worry with questioning the techno-universe.

• 5 Cassie // Nov 26, 2017 at 3:45 pm

This sadly didn’t work for me either. Menus on sites like Groups on Deviant Art, or certain Gwallet offer portals end up doing a weird blip for a dropdown menu, or acting like it wants to create that rollover effect and never shows up. Gwallet offer portals scroll my page down by 2-3 wheel’s worth, bumping me away from what I was clicking on. It’s getting so annoying.

• 6 The Weekly Geek // Nov 27, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Sorry to hear that. I wish I had an alternative for you off the top of my head.

• 7 Robert Willis // Dec 15, 2019 at 5:45 am

There is no enable touch events or touch events API on my chromebook. There is only “Touch UI Layout.

• 8 Sandi // Mar 8, 2018 at 11:48 am

THANK YOU! I had tried everything including the tips for the problem being extensions or hardware acceleration. Nothing worked . This fixed it! I was using windows 10/chrome/ desktop computer with NO touch screen.

• 9 The Weekly Geek // Mar 8, 2018 at 1:38 pm

My pleasure.

• 10 Robert Willis // Dec 15, 2019 at 5:46 am

Can you help me? I’m not finding any of the things talked about in this forum. There is no enable touch events option or touch events API. There is only Touch UI Layout. My drop menus just stopped working recently.

• 11 The Weekly Geek // Dec 15, 2019 at 5:06 pm

Unfortunately, I don’t have a Chromebook to play with and see what is occurring.

• 12 manos // Apr 8, 2018 at 10:56 am

this is something that has been upsetting me for a very long time and nobody from google in all these endless chains provide this simple solution. They ask to uninstall whatever you can imagine ! Thank you !

• 13 manjunath // Jun 26, 2018 at 4:09 am

google chrome some sites drop down option not working salutations

• 14 schan // Jun 28, 2018 at 3:43 am

THANKS YOU! I just click reset all to default and relaunch the browser and now it works, thank again for the posted.

• 15 Peter // Jul 9, 2018 at 12:10 pm

You are awesome man, this has been a thorn in my side for WAY TOO LONG! Thank you so much for posting this and for the amazing help!

• 16 Vivienne // Jul 24, 2018 at 3:56 am

I had the same issue and this was in the end the solution that worked for me: Turned off Hardware acceleration option in chrome advanced settings/restarted Chrome.

• 17 Aart Jansen // Nov 8, 2018 at 10:36 pm

This didn’t work for me, however the suggestion to turn off hardware acceleration did fix it.

• 18 william // May 14, 2019 at 10:42 am

This did not solve my problem, but the comment “turn off hardware acceleration did. Thanks!

• 19 rebecca // Jun 17, 2019 at 8:19 pm

Althought it’s now Touch Events API… etc. they are all drop down menu which is the first place I came looking for fix… I have Chrome 75, Windows 7; Incognition windows drop down menu does Not work either, but IE works. I tried reset chrome, uninstalled+installed, clear browsing history… no luck. What could be the issue?

• 20 rebecca // Jun 17, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Oops typo. I meant Chrome://flags are all drop down menu, my drop down menu DOESN’T work which is why I am here, both chrome and incognition. However drop down menu works fine in IE.